Monday, July 11, 2016

Musing Mondays - July 11



Musing Mondays is a weekly meme now hosted at Jenn's blog Books And A Beat that asks you to choose one of the following prompts to answer:
  • I’m currently reading…
  • Up next I think I’ll read…
  • I bought the following book(s) in the past week…
  • I’m super excited to tell you about (book/author/bookish-news)…
  • I’m really upset by (book/author/bookish-news)…
  • I can’t wait to get a copy of…
  • I wish I could read ___, but…
  • I blogged about ____ this past week…
THIS WEEK’S RANDOM QUESTION: Name a book that was turned into a movie, and completely desecrated (in your opinion).

Hard to believe it is Monday again. I hope you all had a wonderful week. Today's random question is a great one and I didn't even have to think about it before choosing the worst offender...in my book.


In 2000, talented funny man Jim Carrey starred in The Grinch. Based upon How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss, it is the story of a grumpy loner who tries to end Christmas down in Whoville by stealing all the Christmas presents, decorations, and food. Despite all his hard work, the Whos down in Whoville celebrate Christmas anyway. 



Turning a short book that became a half hour TV special into a full-length film must have presented some challenges. That's when the writers created some backstory for Grinch and the inhabitants of Whoville. 

That two sisters discovered a baby Grinch and adopted him was okay, but wild parties where they were collecting keys to keep everyone safe, having a young Grinch bullied at school, the sexual references that come about because of the mayor's attraction to one of the town members and her attraction to the Grinch, and the overall crude humor doesn't fit in with the essence of the book. 

Did you see the movie? What did you think of it?

4 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I actually didn't see this movie, but I can imagine! Thanks for sharing. Here's my MUSING MONDAYS POST

Anonymous said...

I picked The Grinch as well.

I feel like expanding the story really hurt the movie.

And I think it had to compete with the original book and animated special.

My response is over at: www.nashvillebookworm.wordpress.com

Cheryl Malandrinos said...

Thanks for the comments, ladies. Nashville, I so agree with you. It was similar to when I watched Johnny Depp in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Some backstories are not meant to be revealed.

Lauren Bourdages said...

This makes me really glad I've never watched the Grinch (not a Jim Carrey fan).