Monday, July 7, 2014

Musing Mondays - July 7



Musing Mondays asks you to muse about one of the following each week…

• Describe one of your reading habits.
• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it!
• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
• Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
• Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!

My Musing:

This week I’m doing a Book Blogger Quiz, courtesy of MizB of Should Be Reading. Feel free to play along!

Top 3 bookish pet peeves?

  1. When people don't return the books they borrow. This has happened to me twice with a couple of my favorite books. I don't lend out my books anymore.
  2. When people dog ear books. You can find tons of free bookmarks or use a slip of paper before wrecking a book. 
  3. Too much death in a book. 

Perfect reading spot?

My tub. I can read almost anywhere, but I prefer to relax in the tub at night before bed.

3 Bookish confessions?

  1. I read a lot of children's books. It's the market for which I write, so I try to read as much as I can in the way of picture books and middle grade novels.
  2. I get very invested in my characters. I love deep point of view because I want to experience everything right with the characters.
  3. Some of my tastes have remained the same since childhood: historical fiction and mystery are my favorites. 

When was the last time you cried during a book?

It's been a while. Sad scenes definitely make me tear up, but I haven't read deeply emotional books lately.

How many books are on your bedside table?

Usually none, because I keep them next to the tub. Since we are on vacation, there are five next to the bed and another on my dresser.

What is your favorite snack to eat while reading?

Usually an English muffin or yogurt.

Name 3 books you’d recommend to everyone.

  1. The Stand by Stephen King. Best book I've ever read.
  2. Beyond Me: Living a You-First Life in a Me-First World by Kathi Macias. Even if you're not a Christian, this book will help you live a more meaningful life.
  3. Defending Jacob by William Landay. Amazing, powerful book.

Write how much books mean to you in 3 words.

A well-lived life.

What is your biggest reading secret?

I will read an occasional erotic romance. They are very rare. I don't even think I read one a year. But a well-written story with characters I care about will work no matter the genre.

Who I’m tagging:

Anyone who wants to participate.

Please leave a comment with a link to your own Book Blogger Quiz.

6 comments:

Susan B James said...

Love the quiz, but not my turn to blog at Pen and Ink. Hilde just finished a pilgrimage to Prince Edward Island. That's the blog for this week. I am so jealous.I have all of her stories and re-read them every couple of years.
Just finished When Rivers Burned and Frogged. And For All Time by Jude Deveraux. Next will be The Notary by Cheryl Yeko.

Anonymous said...

I used to read in the tub all the time, but now I'm more of a shower person--and even I can't figure out how to read in there!

Cyn @ Bookmunchies said...

Oh the blogger test! I did this a while back too, HERE if you're interested!
I don't like it when people dog tag/fold papers, too! I need my book to be pristine, haha. I'm too scared to read in the bath, I fear I might drop it.
Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I've dropped a few books in the tub so that's not somewhere I read now. Hate to admit I am a chronic dog ear-er.

My MM: http://daystarz.wordpress.com/2014/07/08/musing-mondays-18/

HollyK said...

I like the quiz! Here's mine from last week if you're interested. http://hollykerr.ca/monday-musings-book-blogger-quiz/
Love reading in the tub too but afraid I'll drop the book! And The Stand is one of my favourites, but I only recommend it to certain people!

Michelle said...

Hi Cheryl! Thank you for dropping by.
I like your blog, very pleasant to the eye.

Our answers could be a lot alike.
I don't like dog-eared books, either.
I don't like it when people don't return books.
When I took tub baths, now I shower, I would enjoy reading.
I remember, when my boys were much younger, reading to them. I may have enjoyed the children books more than they did :)

I look forward to reading more of your posts :)