Monday, May 19, 2014

Interview with Francesca Pelaccia, Author of The Witch's Salvation


The Witch's Salvation is Francesca Pelaccia’s debut novel and the first book of The Witch's Trilogy. A teacher and now at long last an author, Francesca has written in other genres but enjoys creating and writing time-travel fantasies. Francesca blogs on the craft of writing especially as it relates to genre and reviews books. Currently she is working on the second book of The Witch’s Trilogy entitled The Witch’s Monastery. Visit Francesca at www.francescapelaccia.com.

Can you tell us a bit about yourself?

Writing is what I do when I’m not working, being a mom to two kids in university, a wife, and trying to stay active by walking and re-learning yoga. I used to work in corporate publishing but now teach English as a Second Language to adult immigrants.

Where did you grow up?

I grew up in Toronto, Canada. I now live just outside the city limits in what is referred to as the Greater Toronto Area, but still work in it.

When did you begin writing?

I have been writing as long as I can remember! I used to write everywhere and often, and where I shouldn’t. At work, on the bus, at coffee shops, at my kids’ soccer or hockey games, any place I could find a piece of paper and a pencil.

Do you write during the day, at night or whenever you can sneak a few moments?

I write in the evening after dinner. I usually spend about two hours every night on writing. I don’t have time on the weekends but I may find an hour or two to write.

What is this book about?

The Witch’s Salvation is a tale about restoring humanity to the last surviving witch of the Carpathian Mountains. The only people who can restore her humanity are Anasztasia and Matthias, two eighteen-year olds born mortal to two immortal families of royal lineage. If they go back in time and retrieve the Golden Cup that holds the mystery to regaining the witch’s humanity, she will make them immortal. She will also dissolve the curse that keeps Matthias’s family imprisoned in the ancient boundaries of Wallachia, present day Romania, and Anasztasia’s family exiled from it. But Anasztasia and Matthias must return to Easter Sunday, 1457, the day Prince Vlad III, aka Dracula, massacred nobles. Anasztasia and Matthias return to the past where life and death adventures begin toward saving the witch, unraveling their families’ secrets, and coming into their own.

What inspired you to write it?


I actually set out to write a light-hearted vampire novel about two characters born mortal to immortal shape shifter royals. But while researching Dracula, I got drawn in to his ignoble history and all the myths, legends, people, and events around it. What was to be a romp turned into an expansive time-travel that is both plot and character-driven.

Are you a member of a critique group? If no, who provides feedback on your work?

I am a member of a critique group at the University of Toronto. The group is made up of unpublished authors who write both genre and literary.

Who is your favorite author?

I have several favorite authors. I enjoy both genre and literary. For pure entertainment I love reading the books of Janet Evanovich, Carl Hiaasen, Jennifer Cruise, and those of the late Ariana Franklin. For literary, right now I’m enjoying the works of Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

Where can readers purchase a copy of your book?

The Witch’s Salvation can be purchased online at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Sony, the iBookstore, Gardners Books, and most other major ebook sellers.

Where can readers find you online?

My website is www.francescapelaccia.com
My blog is www.francescapelaccia.com/blog
I blog about the craft of writing especially as it relates to genre.

What is one piece of advice you would like to share with aspiring authors everywhere?

Just do it! I have been writing all my life. I used to write everywhere. It was fun just letting my imagination go and writing. There were no worries about plot, or character arcs, or historical accuracies. Then life got in the way—work, family, and of course all those bills. I wrote but when I had the time. Also, the rules of how to write became paramount. They were drilled into me by everyone and anyone connected to writing—agents, publishers, other authors, critique partners, teachers. Writing became difficult. Now, I’m back to writing as I started off. For the joy of it, but enriched with what I learned. For all you authors out there: believe in yourself, never give up, and go for it!

What is up next for you?

I am working on two projects: the second book in The Witch’s Trilogy called The Witch’s Monastery and an old romance that I’m reworking and breathing new life into.


No comments: