Friday, April 25, 2014

Interview with Reba White Williams, Author of Fatal Impressions


Reba White Williams worked for more than thirty years in business and finance—in research at McKinsey & Co., as a securities analyst on Wall Street, and as a senior executive at an investment management firm.

Williams graduated from Duke with a BA in English, earned an MBA at Harvard, a PhD in Art History at CUNY, and an MA in Writing at Antioch. She has written numerous articles for art and financial journals. She is a past president of the New York City Art Commission and served on the New York State Council for the Arts.

She and her husband built what was thought to be the largest private collection of fine art prints by American artists. They created seventeen exhibitions from their collection that circulated to more than one hundred museums worldwide, Williams writing most of the exhibition catalogues. She has been a member of the print committees of several leading museums.

Williams grew up in North Carolina, and lives in New York, Connecticut and Southern California with her husband and Maltese, Muffin. She is the author of two novels featuring Coleman and Dinah Greene, Restrike and Fatal Impressions, along with the story of Coleman and Dinah when they were children, Angels. She is currently working on her third Coleman and Dinah mystery.

Visit Reba online at http://rebawhitewilliams.com

Where did you grow up?

I was born in Mississippi, lived there and in Tennessee before moving to North Carolina where I lived with my family. I graduated from high school at St. Mary’s in Raleigh, and went on to Duke, where I majored in English

When did you begin writing?

I wrote as soon as I could write, and wrote more and more as I grew up—at St. Mary’s and Duke.

Do you write during the day, at night or whenever you can sneak a few moments?

I write wherever I am, and whenever I can.

What is this book about?

Fatal Impressions is about two young women working in the art world in New York. Both have moved into new areas: Coleman has bought a second magazine, and Dinah is competing for a corporate contract. Both encounter serious problems and meet threatening people—and criminal activity.

What inspired you to write it?


I always intended to write a series, and planned to use a corporate setting. Many corporations have employed an art consultant to put together (and hang) a collection, but I haven’t seen a mystery written in that setting/situation.

Who is your favorite character from the book?

I like both of my protagonists, but Coleman is my favorite because she’s more active, takes more chances.

Where can readers purchase a copy of your book?

I am a big proponent of independent bookstores, so please purchase at your local one, but it can also be purchased at chain bookstores and online.

What is up next for you?

I’ve just finished writing the 3rd book in the series, and I’ve started the 4th. I’m looking forward to a short trip to London, and a trip to Alaska later in the summer. I’m also looking forward to book parties hosted by my friends for Fatal Impressions!

Is there anything you would like to add?

Anyone who wants to write should keep writing. Don’t get discouraged; just write!

No comments: