Friday, December 6, 2013

New from MuseItUp Publishing: The Great Fruitcake Bake-off by Vivki Batman


Fruitcake lover, Samantha Greene is in a pickle. To defend her five wins in her apartment complex's The Great Fruitcake Bake-off, she has to find a new entry. The to-die for new neighbor, Dixon Roberts, catches her eye and agrees to team up. Only, what they discover is baking a prize-winning entry can be complicated, bad guys abound and are plotting to take over the crown, and ultimately, first prize isn't just about a ribbon.

Excerpt:

"I am not entering this year." I pinned an unbreakable stare on Bethany, my long-time friend. We were piddling over coffee in her cubical like we always did before getting to the nuts and bolts of company business. "Period."

"Why not, Samantha? You should be proud to be the five-time winner of the Great Fruitcake Bake-off. You're a legend."

"Is being a legend in the fruitcake world a good thing? It's exhausting finding the perfect recipe, then bake and exhibit it. Besides, shouldn't somebody else win?"

Bethany's fists went to her hips. "Sam, we're talking fruitcake. It's not groundbreaking like, like the Declaration of Independence or...the Pyramids."

"I'm shocked to hear you say that. Fruitcake is the cake of all time. It dates to--"

She bobbed her head. "To the sixteenth century."

I raised my finger. "It gets a bad--"

"Rap." She sighed a soul searching blow of breath. "You always say that. You also always say you love participating; yet, you're not defending your title this year."

"I've used up all of Grammie's recipes."

"You could start over with the first confection you entered five years ago, couldn't you?"

"It seems like cheating...in a weird way. And I don't cheat."

"You are a shining example of excellent values." Bethany drummed her fingers from the littlest to the index and considered. "I've got it! Why not check online and find a recipe?"

"They don't call you brainchild for nothing." I rubbed a finger along the divot below my lower lip. A tiny speck of excitement blossomed within me. "I'll need a brand new fruitcake. I wouldn't want to be like Crazy Wanda who enters the same freakin' lump of dough every freakin' year."

"It never hurts to expand your repertoire, even if it's by collecting fruitcake recipes."

Genre Romantic Comedy
Release December 6, 2013
Pages 51
ISBN 978-1-77127-453-1



PURCHASE FROM MUSEITUP PUBLISHING OR AMAZON!

No comments: